Yet another OBSERVATION vs. EVALUATION issue

Gerard Freriks gfrer at luna.nl
Tue Aug 14 07:12:08 EDT 2012

In our book any risk assessment is an Evaluation.

Because it is a statement about an inference about characteristics of a possible ongoing process inside the patient system.
And not a state in a process that can be observed via our senses at a point in time.

E.g. The measured/observed systolic blood pressure is a state of a cardio-vascular process inside the patient system.
The measurement of the systolic blood pressure is an Action type archetype.
Both the blood pressure Action and Observation are linked and each have a state model attached to it.
An inference about a process inside the patient system is modelled using the Evaluation pattern.
We can not observe a process in principle, only states at a point in time when we perceive observables and record the observation.
Evaluation is about inferences about characteristics in general of the process and risk is one of the characteristics we can attach to that process and make inferences about.

Gerard Freriks
+31 620347088
gfrer at luna.nl