Yet another OBSERVATION vs. EVALUATION issue

Stefan Sauermann sauermann at technikum-wien.at
Thu Aug 16 10:13:57 EDT 2012

Ad "quantification" of Risk:
EN ISO 14971 / 15.12.2009 (Application fo risk management to medical
devices) has an informative annex (D) "Risk concepts ... "
this suggests two basic levels of risk:
- not acceptable (immediate show stopper, flare red lights, everybody
freeze, ... )
- acceptable (this is OK, something will happen but seldom and harmless
enough for us to bear)

Additionally there may be a additional category: "we need to investigate
further risk reduction"

In this appendix D we also find concepts for describing hazards, harm
and probability of occurrence.
The ongoing discussion circles around basics. It may help to use the
existing concepts and definitions.

Hope this helps,
greetings from Vienna,
Stefan

Stefan Sauermann

Program Director
Biomedical Engineering Sciences (Master)

University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien
Hoechstaedtplatz 5, 1200 Vienna, Austria
P: +43 1 333 40 77 - 988
M: +43 664 6192555
E: stefan.sauermann at technikum-wien.at

I: www.technikum-wien.at/mbe