Yet another OBSERVATION vs. EVALUATION issue

Stefan Sauermann sauermann at technikum-wien.at
Fri Aug 17 10:05:04 EDT 2012

This is deeply philosophic, but if you want it you get it:
;)

The fact that a smoker within a given population develops cancer is an
observation.
The fact that n smokers within a given population develop cancer is an
observation.
So: some elements used for risk evaluation are observations.
I would agree that "Risk" as a whole is an evaluation.

Decisions of medical users do not depend on the fact that an item is
classified as "observation" or "evaluation".
Users need to know how the content they see on the screen was generated.

Systems need to be able to tell the story of every item of information
they show on screens. A single "label" on an element within an archetype
does not provide this story. There need to be additional measures. I
guess it makes sense to focus on these.

Hope this helps,
greetings from Vienna,
Stefan

Stefan Sauermann

Program Director
Biomedical Engineering Sciences (Master)

University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien
Hoechstaedtplatz 5, 1200 Vienna, Austria
P: +43 1 333 40 77 - 988
M: +43 664 6192555
E: stefan.sauermann at technikum-wien.at

I: www.technikum-wien.at/mbe