Yet another OBSERVATION vs. EVALUATION issue

Karsten Hilbert Karsten.Hilbert at gmx.net
Sat Aug 18 08:13:03 EDT 2012

> lets ditch the term 'Diagnosis' completely.
> Or use it only when we are -as you write- scientifically certain.
> And use other terms. We (EN13606 Association) prefer the 'Reasons for ...'
> type of terms, because that is what they do in real life.
> They are the excuses to do something (or nothing); they are the cost
> drivers in healthcare; they must be documented.
>
> Words like 'symptom', 'sign', 'syndrome', 'diagnosis', are fuzzy terms
> that can mean too many things.

They do have intuitive clinical meanings though:

symptom/sign:

 a *single* "thing" related to a patient's health deemed
 clinically relevant by the provider

cluster of symptoms/signs:

 a group of probably related symptoms/signs happening at the
 same time, suggestive to the provider to be of common origin

syndromic diagnosis:

 cluster(s) of signs/symptoms which incur sufficient confidence
 in the provider to "call this" a certain affliction - IOW a
 clinical diagnosis, differential diagnosis, considered diagnosis

Those definitions work quite well in GP land.

Karsten