International interoperability

Stefan Sauermann sauermann at technikum-wien.at
Wed Aug 22 04:11:35 EDT 2012

Dear Sam, all,
I am fully aware of the openEHR efforts, CKM etc. I agree that these are
platforms are required !!! to get the work done.

My point is that interoperability will only work for users / systems who
are represented in the discussions. Those  who engage and agree on
harmonised solutions will have interoperability. "The rest of the world"
are not represented, they do not discuss. We cannot solve their problems
for them. The "rest of the world" will therefore not have
interoperability (with us) without further work.

Limiting the scope to a certain user group and a use case will make
harmonisation crisp and easier.  We can focus on solutions for those who
are represented in the discussions and get those going. We can then
prove and disseminate to "the rest of the world" that this works
elegantly with little effort for a certain purpose in a certain
community. Our experience in Austria is that "the rest of the world"
will notice and jump on the train. The train needs to be there before
anybody will jump on.

(I do admit that we do not see the complete "rest of the world" on our
Austrian trains. But there is an audience and there is international
cooperation with relevant groups elsewhere.)

(Online tools are fine. In my experience however harmonisation work is
successful if you have at least a few face to face meetings at the
start, but that is another story, does not belong here.)

Greetings from Vienna,

Stefan Sauermann

Program Director
Biomedical Engineering Sciences (Master)

University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien
Hoechstaedtplatz 5, 1200 Vienna, Austria
P: +43 1 333 40 77 - 988
M: +43 664 6192555
E: stefan.sauermann at technikum-wien.at

I: www.technikum-wien.at/mbe