Archetypes: Types of use

Gerard Freriks gfrer at luna.nl
Sun Jul 8 07:28:04 EDT 2012

Hi,

There are two types of use for archetypes:
-local, ad-hoc in geographical sense and time
-general in geography and time

The first type will serve local arrangements when, for instance, one needs to integrate systems in one specific hospital with those of a specific other one.
The latter type when we need to express data using archetypes in systems that so to speak have to be designed, yet and used by healthcare providers that have to be born, yet and used in an other healthcare domain, an other languages an other culture.

In the present day reality we are content when we can achieve the first type of use in a situation with partial semantic interoperability.
But we have to prepare for the latter type used in a situation with full semantic interoperability.

It is clear that Stefan points ate the first type of use and that Koray  refers more to the latter.
In both cases we need human agreements.
In the first type they can be rather loose, flexible, relatively unstable, and ad-hoc. This is typically the situation with archetypes defined in the 'old-days', the days of learning, in many regional or national projects.
In the latter type they have to be strict, well defined, well managed, well maintained, well owned, well quality assured and very stable and used in a large worldwide community
We must start to prepare for this next phase of the use of archetypes as carriers of many human agreements on the topic of full, safe,  semantic interoperability.

Gerard Freriks
+31 620347088
gfrer at luna.nl