HL7 ANY type

Seref Arikan serefarikan at kurumsalteknoloji.com
Mon Jul 9 18:25:05 EDT 2012

Hi Bert,
I'm trying to get my head around your requirements. I can't say I've
clearly got it, but let me try to reply via inline comments.

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Bert Verhees <bert.verhees at rosa.nl> wrote:

> Op 09-07-2012 17:15, Seref Arikan schreef:
>
>  implementation, that would be a big set of data, which you'd have to
>> downcast in your own implementation and apply filters.. Would you like to
>> discuss your use case in more detail?
>>
> Hi Seref,
>
> Thanks for your interest.
>
> The use case is about, that we need to write a set of archetypes which is
> usable as datastorage for a HL7 VMR-model in a decision-system. In this
> model, there is an ObservationResult with type ANY to hold the
> observation-value.
> The only query-able solution we can find is to specialize the archetype to
> common situations. We have, for example an ObservationResult related to
> pregnancy, in a specialized archetype.
> Depending on the kind of DataValue, there are other attributes.

This sounds reasonable. If we're talking about the HL7 ANY type, is not
that the highest type in the data types hierarchy? An abstract type with
only nullflavor attribute, right? So when you say the observation value can
be ANY, it means any data type, so your choice of DataValue may not be a
bad match for the same thing. Tom and Ian may offer something better, but
I'd probably give DataValue a try just like you're doing.

> The customers/users, however are not happy with this. They wonder how it
> is be done in HL7, of they have the same problem. I don't know, does
> someone know?

Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm getting this. Why are they unhappy? Unless there
is a trick in the HL7 type system for this, you'd have to do type checking
on the observation value to find out its actual type. There are members of
this list with serious HL7 experience, may they may like to comment about
how to do this in HL7. Anyone? Do they have a problem with HL7, and are
they asking you to solve it by implementing something in openEHR? If so,
you seem to be on the right path. In short: what is the problem ? :)

> What would be a good solution, it would be good also if AQL had a solution
> to query the type of a datavalue, and than it would be possible to query
> the value, depending on the type, there would be another attribute to query.

I would not call that a good solution. It feels like you're pushing
something that belongs to a higher level to a lower level, to AQL. Can you
give a hypothetical syntax example for the feature you're asking? How would
write your query if you had the feature you're asking for?

> Someone has an answer/suggestion to this?

Well, unless I can see what is wrong with your approach, I'll suggest that
you go ahead with what you seem to be doing :)