openEHR members, who we are?

Ingram, David d.ingram at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Nov 16 10:44:36 EST 2012

Dear Pablo,

I used to look at the openEHR web site stats once in  a while, when I hosted everything locally at UCL for many years. They fluctuated from thousands of visits a day to a few hundred, depending on things we and other organisations were doing at the time - and the time of year, of course. In these reports one could distinguish the country from where the enquiry came - about 80 in all. A large preponderance of visits from N America was always very noticeable, which was not mirrored in contributions on the lists, which was interesting. The total numbers registered on all the lists was around 1000 at the time I last asked my web manager - a year or two back.

There were sudden peaks in access to the repositories containing the specifications and software - a mysterious caller from Romania pretty was seldom off the site for several months, I remember! The Google and other search engine hits for the term openEHR also lifted off and then fluctuated quite strikingly. I think all these sorts of numbers are only qualitative guides, though. In general, take the square root of any of them and you're more likely to be close to a measure of active practical engagement!  I interpret them anecdotally as evidence that  many are interested, quite a large number are following actively, and relatively few, still (as ever!), are actively engaged and working on the cause. A not insignificant number are actively working against the openEHR cause, of course, so we need supporters who we know are there to be a bit more vocal, sometimes! I tend to agree, though, that we shouldn't really require any information from anyone, other than the means to keep in touch if they register on the lists. If needed, I am sure an optional on-line survey asking people to register interest and concerns, could be hosted.

I think the CKM data is  pretty indicative of active interest in clinical content modelling. In a similar way, the Opereffa open source software that Seref made available was downloaded about 1000 times in about 70 countries. It has cropped up in other people's work, all over the place, but not yet, I understand, resulted in any code extensions or improvements being added or offered back, open source.

Thank you for all your energies and enthusiasm, as always, Pablo. We hope to see you in London, soon.

Best wishes,
David Ingram