Best type for encoded values including "other" (implying free text)

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at oceaninformatics.com
Wed Oct 3 06:06:10 EDT 2012

On 03/10/2012 10:43, Athanasios Anastasiou wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I have come across this situation where one of the fields i need to
> describe in an archetype (Residence Status) contains 8 strictly
> encoded values, one of which is "Other" implying that besides the
> encoded values, free-text would also be acceptable.

the first thing I would check is whether that is actually true - or if
'other' is just another code, and there is no expectation of expressing
the actual value separately. Because in the first 7 cases, the data
structure is

DV_CODED_TEXT = <
     value = <"code description for 1234567">
     defining_code = <
         terminology_id = <"residence_status_codes"> -- or whatever it is
         code_string = <"1234567">

(assuming you want the code rubric to be available), and in the 8th, if
you want an actual value, it is

in the 8th case, you are implying it is something like:

DV_CODED_TEXT = <
*    free_text_value = <"some other kind of residence status">*
     value = <"other">
     defining_code = <
         terminology_id = <"residence_status_codes"> -- or whatever it is
         code_string = <"99999">

which doesn't really work. You would need two data points to do this
properly in an archetype, so no tool is going to be able to do this job
with a single data point (i.e. a single DV_TEXT or DV_CODED_TEXT).

Now, I realise that the situation as you describe it probably is a
relatively common pattern, and there is probably an argument for making
the archetype editor support it in a way that allows the user to just
specify it in a logical way, and the editor creates the appropriate
constraints on two data points to cover the 'other' case. It's not a
completely obvious construct however, since for the other 7 codes, you
only need one data point; the free text one is left empty.

- thomas