openEHR-clinical Digest, Vol 22, Issue 1

Evelyn Hovenga ehovenga at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 23:21:38 EST 2014

Hi Everyone,

I have developed an entire business case and examined numerous options on
how the openEHR Foundation could proceed with this.

It is  based on an identified gap summarised as “a gap in trustworthy,
quality and consistent openEHR international capacity building via formal or
informal openEHR Foundation endorsed education/training opportunities”.

>From a strategic perspective the foundation does need to address this if it
wishes to maintain adherence to its 3 principles, rigour, engagement and
trust.

[More Education about openEHR is needed, as I don’t  see it mentioned in any
national eHealth strategies, or the WHO eHealth documentation although the
Regenstrief Institute gets a mention under SDOs  on the basis of its LOINC
for example]

[from my perspective effective education/training is not about an expert
delivering a lecture or workshop using  a powerpoint presentation, it needs
to be educationally sound and targeted to achieve a specific measurable
outcome]

I can send the entire business case to the Foundation for their
consideration, [it’s too large to send to this list].  What is being
proposed is a big project requiring substantial educational expertise with a
lot of input from this community to set it up in a sustainable manner.

There are essentially 2 phases, phase 1 is about developing the
standards/guidelines/criteria to be used as the basis for endorsing anyone
or anything. This includes rules about the use of the Foundation’s logo.
Phase 2 can’t be implemented until phase 1 is completed.  Phase 1 is highly
dependent upon participation from this community irrespective of funding. It
needs to be based job/role evaluation/task analysis type of research. The
first 2 recommendations relate to phase 1.

>From my analysis I have arrived at the following recommendations for the
openEHR Foundation to:

1.	Either add an Education program to the openEHR Foundation’s
governance structure and appoint a new program leader or include the
proposed education program within the existing location program under the
existing program leader.
2.	Appoint one or more educational experts (or an organisation) to take
on the responsibility to direct and manage all developmental project work
with the participation of the openEHR volunteer community. The appointee
agrees to either undertake the task voluntarily as an in kind sponsorship
and/or with the use of funds from a grant to complete phase 1.

Phase 2 is about the ongoing undertaking of a process where these
standards/guidelines/criteria are applied to evaluate/endorse both
education/training providers and individual educational/training
programs/courses/workshops/Tutorials, including complete qualifications when
requested to do so by previously approved providers.  Once this occurs there
will be feedback about the legitimacy/usefulness of the
standards/guidelines/criteria as part of a continuing improvement process to
ensure thee retain their relevancy.

3.	Take on the responsibility for the endorsement, administration and
management of agreed standards/guidelines under the direction and guidance
of the Foundation Board Chair who is the signatory to such documents.
4.	Take on the responsibility for the approval of education/training
providers upon request, and associated administration and management on a
fee for service cost recovery basis.
5.	Appoint a number of national/regionally based organisations to take
on the delegated responsibility of applying the agreed standards/guidelines
for the purpose of evaluating education/training programs/courses or
workshops/tutorials upon requests from previously approved
education/training providers under a 3-5 year contractual arrangement on a
fee for service cost recovery basis.

This is a highly condensed outcome summary documenting key points only. I
welcome your comments before I finalise the business case and send it off to
the Foundation’s Board management for their consideration.

Evelyn

EHE logo tree

Prof Evelyn J.S.Hovenga,

CEO, Director & Trainer

eHealth Education Pty Ltd, RTO 32279
(trading as RSC Training and eHE Training)

:  PO Box 9783,  Frenchville Qld 4701

*   <mailto:e.hovenga at ehe.edu.au> e.hovenga at ehe.edu.au
È  0408309839  '  1300 285 512
8   <http://www.ehe.edu.au/> www.ehe.edu.au  &