Clinical Modeling - A critical analysis

Ian McNicoll ian at freshehr.com
Fri Feb 20 09:50:57 EST 2015

Hi Birger,

I did read this paper some months ago and to be honest but as a
non-computer scientist found it quite difficult to understand. It
seems to be based on a comparison of a theoretical architectural
approach based on high-level ontologies but also contains some
puzzling assertions

e.g. "An archetype is a user-defined table in relational database
models, so intentionally or not-intentionally notifying the ICT-focus
of the Archetype approach." - which is almost universally incorrect
and may have misled the entire assessment.

and

"However, the archetype schemas used, refer to existing ontologies
like SNOMED CT [32] just as terminology. We should remember that
SNOMED CT itself has developed from a terminology and is still in
process of growing into a logically and ontologically coherent
ontology. The problem still is a strong conceptualist legacy. So, it
might be better to derive schemas from realism-based ontologies, e.g.,
from members or candidates of the OBO Foundry [13], most of which are
based on BFO."

when openEHR is completely terminology/ontology neutral and its own
'minimal ontology' Compostions, sections, Entries etc has no
relationship to SNOMED CT whatsoever.

The comparison with Hl7v3 seems to be to be completely spurious. HL7v3
constructs are directly analagous to those in openEHR and 13606

e.g "In contrast to the archetypes that are derived from a top down
approach, the clinical statement structure in HL7 v3 allows a top down
decomposition through the headers, sections, and core content. "

how does this clinical statement structure with headers, sections and
core content fundamentally differ from the openEHR/13606 approach?

Finally .. "Therefore, they are facing the problem that the
architectural representation and composition/decomposition of
real-world classes and instances cannot be provided appropriately.
Instead, the models are quite different from reality and themselves
inconsistent."

This statement makes the assumption that clinical modelling is trying
to represent 'real-world' classes and instances, when we are actually
trying to represent the content found within clinical records, not
their 'real world' equivalents i.e the record of diagnosis of diabetes
, not diabetes itself. The reason that the models are inconsistent is
that we are reflecting the inconsistency found in clinical content
capture and understanding. If every clinican in the world agreed on
the content of an allergy record, or if the content could be derived
from a scientific/logical examination of the concept , then perhaps
ontology would have its place but ... in the real, messy inconsistent
world such differences have to be resolved by negotiation and messy.
emergent consensus not by the application of logics.

or perhaps I have just missed the authors' point altogether!

mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859
office +44 (0)1536 414994
skype: ianmcnicoll
email: ian at freshehr.com