Re: Problem-oriented records and querying by problem

sam.heard at openehrfoundation.org sam.heard at openehrfoundation.org
Mon Jan 5 16:07:00 EST 2015

Hi

There are a number of possibilities and it will inevitably vary.

First, some things get into “persistent” lists that are not ongoing. These are generally removed or demoted to being inactive.

Second, some things need to stay in “persistent” lists and are very important even if there is no idea of care - breast cancer for example. The risk of recurrence gets very small after 10 years but it is never zero.

Third, care plans will be multiple but need to be as consolidated as possible. There might be a different care plan for different professionals or activities linked to different professionals within the same care plan. A nursing care plan during respite care for a disabled person may be very different from that person’s ongoing care plan in the community.

The interventions for hypertension, hyperlipidaemia, obesity, diabetes type II and ischaemic heart disease overlap massively.

So the principles as I see them are:

As few care plans as possible - certainly not one per problem

The scope of the care plan to be visible - hospital, aged-care facility, community

Care plans need to be merged and separated and updated and closed.

I think that a collection of instructions in a composition linked to actions undertaken is the best technical solution. If you want that linked to a particular problem or set of problems we could archetype that in the links….or have an explicit data point for the problem (with a link).

Time will tell.

Cheers, Sam