Problem-oriented records and querying by problem

Ian McNicoll ian at mcmi.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 11:28:49 EST 2015

Hi Erik,

I am not sure that FOLDERS are the correct solution, since these can
only contain Compositions (or other folders) which is a pretty clunky
way of maintaining a problem list whose core artefacts will be
ENTRY-level archetypes. it also prevents the roots and branch aspects
of the tree-like list from containing important meta-info like a
problem name or dates.

For a problem list, we are certainly looking at some sort of separate
composition, maintained separately from the core event compositions in
which the problems were originally entered, either by copying the
original ENTRIES or (I think more correctly, via LINKS, but that is
partly an implementation issue. Whilst the current 'persistent'
composition arrangement works ok for GP-type longitudinal problem
lists, setting the composition.type attribute to 'persistent' prevents
the use of composition.context which is too restrictive for e.g an
episodic problem list maintained across a hospital admission.

Both the HL7 Health Concern DAM and CEN Contsys Health Thread
documentation are pretty well aligned in overall requirements.  In
particular both envisage the use of problem thread type constructs
within much more defined contexts such as a discharge/ referral
document or even a Care plan. The longitudinal problem list is just a
very specific sub-type of this construct.

https://github.com/openehr-clinical/shn-contsys

with some example archetypes and mindmaps. This approach does rely
heavily on LINKS, which I think is unavoidable because of the need to
nest ENTRY level constructs, whether these ENTRIES are held in-line
with in the same Composition or a referenced from a different
composition.

The Health Thread archetype is the root ENTRY which contains one of
more Health Issues which is the container for the real payload of
ENTRIES, which can be of any ENTRY class. Since developing this
arrangement I have begun to wonder if Health Issue is actually
redundant and that we could simply use the Problem /Diagnosis
archetype in that role. This would simplify the structure for simple
uses case, whilst ensuring that the root of any Health Issue was a
Problem/Diagnosis, beneath which any kind of ENTRY is allowed e.g a
medication statement, procedure or even in some cases and admin_entry.

The other very tricky area is how to reconcile this approach with the
more common arrangement in episodic care of e.g. Primary Diagnoses/
procedures, Co-morbidity, other problems etc. It would be nice to find
means to bring these two approaches together.

mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859
office +44 (0)1536 414994
skype: ianmcnicoll
email: ian at freshehr.com