Constraining coded values

Kavanagh Richard (HEALTH AND SOCIAL CARE INFORMATION CENTRE) richard.kavanagh at hscic.gov.uk
Wed Jan 14 05:22:17 EST 2015

We are attempting to create an archetype to represent an existing information structure that we use within our Child Screening messages, for BloodSpot results.

Consider the following table (abbreviated).

We have a "Status Code" which can take on values of "01"-"09"
We then have a "Subcode" which depending on the "Status Code" is either not required, or has a specified set of values it can take on.

This only represents one of the "tests" from a collection of 9 possible tests that are part of the English BloodSpot

Status code     Suggested term used in child health system      Subcode Description     ID      FSN
01      Specimen received in laboratory N/A     Same value applies to all screening tests (ie relates to the blood spot card)

Additional data items to be provided with this status code and entered into Child Health systems. electronically or by manual means:

• Date sample taken
• Date sample received in laboratory
• Laboratory identifier 509581000000105 Newborn blood spot specimen received (finding)
02      (condition screened for) declined       N/A             947891000000100 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening declined (situation)
                0201    Declined, no history of being screened  951861000000101 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening declined, no history of being screened (situation)
                0202    Declined, screened in UK (as reported by parents) with no evidence of result    951881000000105 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening declined, screened in United Kingdom (as reported by parents) with no evidence of result (situation)
                0203    Declined, screened outside UK with evidence of result   951901000000108 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening declined, screened outside United Kingdom with evidence of result (situation)
                0204    Declined, screened outside UK with no evidence of result        951921000000104 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening declined, screened outside United Kingdom with no evidence of result (situation)
03      (Condition screened for) Repeat/Further sample required                 951941000000106 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, repeat screening with further sample required (finding)
                0301    Too young for reliable screening        951961000000107 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, too young for reliable screening (finding)
                0302    Too soon after transfusion (<72 hours)  951981000000103 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, sample taken too soon after blood transfusion (less than 72 hours) (finding)
                0303    Insufficient sample     952001000000103 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, insufficient sample (finding)
                0304    Unsuitable sample (blood quality): incorrect blood application  952021000000107 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, unsuitable sample (blood quality): incorrect blood application (finding)
                0305    Unsuitable sample (blood quality): compressed/damaged   952041000000100 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, unsuitable sample (blood quality): compressed/damaged (finding)
                0306    Unsuitable sample: day 0 and day 5 on same card 952061000000104 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, unsuitable sample: day 0 and day 5 on same card (finding)
                0308    Unsuitable sample: NHS number missing/not accurately recorded   952081000000108 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, unsuitable sample: National Health Service number missing/not accurately recorded (finding)
                0309    Unsuitable sample: Date of sample missing/not accurately recorded       952101000000102 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, unsuitable sample: date of sample missing/not accurately recorded (finding)
                0310    Unsuitable sample: Date of birth not accurately matched 952121000000106 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, unsuitable sample: date of birth not accurately matched (finding)
                0311    Unsuitable sample: Expired card used    952141000000104 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, unsuitable sample: expired card used (finding)
                0312    Unsuitable sample:  > 14 days in transit, too old for analysis  952161000000103 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, unsuitable sample: more than 14 days in transit, too old for analysis (finding)
                0313    Unsuitable sample: Damaged in transit   952181000000107 Glutaric aciduria type 1 screening, unsuitable sample: damaged in transit (finding)
04      (Condition screened for) Not suspected  N/A             951781000000101 Glutaric aciduria type 1 not suspected (situation)
07      (Condition screened for) Not suspected, other disorders follow up       N/A             951801000000100 Glutaric aciduria type 1 not suspected and other disorders follow up required (situation)
08      (Condition screened for) Suspected      N/A             951831000000106 Suspected glutaric aciduria type 1 (situation)
09      (Condition screened for) Not screened/screening incomplete      N/A             952201000000106 Glutaric aciduria type 1 not screened for or screening incomplete (finding)
                0902    All screens: >1 year, too old for screening     952221000000102 Glutaric aciduria type 1 not screened for or screening incomplete: over 1 year old, too old for screening (finding)
                0903    Moved out of area       952241000000109 Glutaric aciduria type 1 not screened for or screening incomplete, moved out of area (finding)
                0904    Not contactable, reasonable efforts made        952261000000105 Glutaric aciduria type 1 not screened for or screening incomplete, not contactable, reasonable efforts made (finding)
                0905    Baby died       952281000000101 Glutaric aciduria type 1 not screened for or screening incomplete, baby died (finding)
                0906    Not required, previous  valid result    952301000000100 Glutaric aciduria type 1 not screened for or screening incomplete, not required, previous valid result (finding)

Regards

Richard Kavanagh
Head of Data Standards
Architecture, Standards & Innovation
Health and Social Care Information Centre
Tel : 0113 397 4398
Mob : 07770 644449
Richard.Kavanagh at hscic.gov.uk<mailto:Richard.Kavanagh at hscic.gov.uk>
http://www.hscic.gov.uk<http://www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk>