openEHR specifications - the future is Asciidoctor + MagicDraw?

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at oceaninformatics.com
Fri Jul 3 06:10:49 EDT 2015

Athanasios,

excellent suggestion. I haven't even looked at building in syntax
diagrams right now, but your timing is perfect - I was contemplating how
to put the ADL grammar into the new style spec in a nice way. Currently
grammar is generated as an HTML page (as per links on this wiki page
<https://openehr.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADL/ADL+2+parser+resources>)
which is ok, but the source file is not in a re-usable form (it's a .y
file containing Eiffel code - but it would be the same problem with any
language like Java or C etc) and the lexer files are also not re-usable
or easily publishable.

So we need to solve this in a way that makes the lexer and parser
grammar files primary, and then all other files based on them. All of
this goes for AQL as well.

Both ADL and AQL grammars can undoubtedly be improved - there is not
only one grammar for a language - so making changes for computability
doesn't have to break the language definition. I suspect that if we can
get some optimal grammars sorted out for Antlr, they will become the
'primary files' for these languages in the ecosystem. Shinji is also
after the same thing, and I think has done some work on ADL grammar for
Antlr.

So we need to do some work here, and your work looks like a good
starting point.

As soon as we have a few more gremlins sorted out in the main toolchain,
I'll get myself up to speed on your and Shinji's work here and hopefully
we can create a solution which I think then really will make for a
powerful models+documentation+programming toolchain.

- thomas