Archetype use for generic patterns and/or for real patient data

Jon Tysdahl jon at furst.no
Mon Jun 1 09:37:20 EDT 2015

There are numerous situations in EHR-systems, where a general pattern of what to do exists, and then is used for a patient in a given situation, resulting in EHR-records based on this pattern. It is unclear to me to what extent the archetypes may be used for modelling such patterns, and how to move from such general patterns to the archetypes containing the real patient related data.

The following example is meant to illustrate the issue:

Several patients may have the same medical condition and should (according to clinical guidelines) have care plans that are very similar. The care plan for each patient may be documented using the Care Plan Archetype. These care plans all come from a common "care plan" described for the medical condition in question. If this generic care plan also was described in the form of archetypes, f.i. using the Care Plan archetype also for generic patterns, some advantages may appear.

My impression is that use of archetypes for such patterns is not described, investigated or advocated in the community. I may be wrong (being a newcomer) or there may be good reasons for this, of which I would be happy to be informed about. On the other hand, if this is a question waiting to be addressed, I would like to see the debate around this evolve.

Best regards

Jon Tysdahl