New paper: Archetype-based data warehouse environment

David Moner damoca at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 04:06:26 EDT 2015

Dear all,

My colleagues Luis Marco-Ruiz, José A. Maldonado, Nils Kolstrup, Johan G.
Bellika and myself have just published a paper titled "Archetype-based data
warehouse environment to enable the reuse of electronic health record data"
in the International Journal of Medical Informatics. I think this work can
be of interest for many of you.

Best regards,
David

Link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1386505615300058

Abstract:

- Background. The reuse of data captured during health care delivery is
essential to satisfy the demands of clinical research and clinical decision
support systems. A main barrier for the reuse is the existence of legacy
formats of data and the high granularity of it when stored in an electronic
health record (EHR) system. Thus, we need mechanisms to standardize,
aggregate, and query data concealed in the EHRs, to allow their reuse
whenever they are needed.
- Objective. To create a data warehouse infrastructure using
archetype-based technologies, standards and query languages to enable the
interoperability needed for data reuse.
- Materials and methods. The work presented makes use of best of breed
archetype-based data transformation and storage technologies to create a
workflow for the modeling, extraction, transformation and load of EHR
proprietary data into standardized data repositories. We converted legacy
data and performed patient-centered aggregations via archetype-based
transformations. Later, specific purpose aggregations were performed at a
query level for particular use cases.
- Results. Laboratory test results of a population of 230,000 patients
belonging to Troms and Finnmark counties in Norway requested between
January 2013 and November 2014 have been standardized. Test records
normalization has been performed by defining transformation and aggregation
functions between the laboratory records and an archetype. These mappings
were used to automatically generate open EHR compliant data. These data
were loaded into an archetype-based data warehouse. Once loaded, we defined
indicators linked to the data in the warehouse to monitor test activity of
Salmonella and Pertussis using the archetype query language.
- Discussion. Archetype-based standards and technologies can be used to
create a data warehouse environment that enables data from EHR systems to
be reused in clinical research and decision support systems. With this
approach, existing EHR data becomes available in a standardized and
interoperable format, thus opening a world of possibilities toward semantic
or concept-based reuse, query and communication of clinical data.

--
David Moner Cano
Grupo de Informática Biomédica - IBIME

Universidad Politécnica de Valencia (UPV)
Camino de Vera, s/n, Edificio G-8, Acceso B, 3ª planta
Valencia – 46022 (España)