Representing a Real value in openEHR

David Moner damoca at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 06:39:52 EDT 2015

Well, as the openEHR data types specification document says, think of an
archetype representing some statistical values such a covariance.
It is clear that the DV_QUANTITY is the most appropriate solution right
now, but does not seem safe to rely on setting an empty unit to represent
just  a Real number

> Hi David,
>
> until we discovered that a few scores use non Integral values, there was
> no need for a 'real' type with no units. There is a CR to enable DV_ORDINAL
> to have real values. Until then, I would suggest using the DV_QUANTITY
> approach, that's the most frequently used one in the past. Other than these
> scores, I have never heard of a real value that doesn't have units in
> medicine. Does anyone know of any? If there is one, we would need a new
> data type as well, but it still wouldn't be the one to use for scores.
>
> - thomas
>
> On 17/03/2015 10:09, David Moner wrote:
>
>   Hello,
>
>  It might seem a very basic question, but I couldn't find an appropriate
> answer anywhere. Which is the best way to model a single Real number in
> openEHR? For example, a result of a score.
>
>  I have found two possible options:
>
> - Use a DV_QUANTITY, with the "Qualified Real" property, that sets the
> units to an empty String. This approach is used in the "Harris Hip Score"
> archetype (http://www.openehr.org/ckm/#showArchetype_1013.1.1873)
>
> - Use a DV_PROPORTION, with the PROPORTION_KIND set to Unitary. This
> approach is used in the "Waist and hip circumference" archetype (
> http://www.openehr.org/ckm/#showArchetype_1013.1.332)
>
>  In both cases, it seems we are forcing to use a data type that does not
> really fit for purpose. Why don't we have something similar as the
> DV_COUNT, but representing a real number and not an integer? Something
> equivalent to the REAL data type in ISO 21090

David Moner Cano
Grupo de Informática Biomédica - IBIME
Instituto ITACA
http://www.ibime.upv.es
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmoner

Universidad Politécnica de Valencia (UPV)
Camino de Vera, s/n, Edificio G-8, Acceso B, 3ª planta
Valencia - 46022 (España)