one-to-many term bindings in archetypes

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at oceaninformatics.com
Sun Mar 29 17:10:36 EDT 2015

Hi Pablo,

I presented to IHTSDO in about 2010 (PDF here
<https://openehr.atlassian.net/wiki/download/attachments/5767179/openEHR_term_binding_IHTSDO_april_2010.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1272923195000&api=v2>)
on the problem of multiple possible bindings in SNOMED CT for a given
term. The problem is mainly that SNOMED has problems, not that it has
multiple codes that we should legitimately bind to. There are
overlapping concepts, duplicate concepts, wrong concepts, and right
concepts. Of the 'right' ones, only some or none may correspond to the
concept for a given node in the archetype.

SNOMED CT is getting better, and someone like Daniel Karlsson would be
able to give a better idea of how 'clean' it is today.

You'll see some examples (BP and others) about 1/3 of the way in.

- thomas