Memory Clinic / Older Adult Mental Health

Matt Evans mge at deepblue.uk.net
Fri Nov 13 07:31:42 EST 2015

I have followed these lists for some years but never posted before. I work
in an NHS older adult mental health service in the south of England and the
greatest proportion of our workload is in cognitive disorders.

We have significant need to gather a mixture of structured and semi
structured or freetext clinical information to support clinical care, audit,
service development and research. We have previously worked with UCL CHIME
to model the clinical information and built an information system to support
these requirements in memory clinic and to some extent older adult mental
health more generally. We therefore have some potential archetypes/templates
to start from.

The move in the NHS towards larger information systems means that we must
now migrate these clinical models in to some sort of representation in the
main hospital/Trust information system. Our neighbouring Trusts do the same
within their different information systems. As clinicians and researchers we
are more than ever interested in sharing the information structures across
our organizations but clearly that means across different incompatible
systems.

I have experience of the 'traditional' way of specifying and communicating
information requirements and building them in 'the big systems' and it isn't
entirely satisfactory. I hope that building archetypes could be a really
efficient way of engaging end users and to communicate the developments.
Regrettably the exercise would merely be for us to demonstrate our common
requirement as the archetypes will then have to be translated rather than
incorporated in to the different  systems in use by different organizations.

Clearly I need to do some reading of the openEHR pages and specifically the
tools. Before we start I'd appreciate any advice people could offer.

Is there active openEHR archetype work within the NHS currently?

Are there archetypes in developments within cognitive/neurodegenerative
disorders or mental health?

Should it be sufficient to use the archetype editor to build and share the
work or would it be worth my while then adding the archetypes to an openEHR
server to demonstrate use?

Thanks for any pointers!

Matt