ACTIONs, OBSERVATIONs and procedures

Ian McNicoll ian at freshehr.com
Wed Sep 2 06:56:17 EDT 2015

Hi David,

In theory you are correct but in many clinical records the date of the
observation acts as a sufficient proxy for activity being performed.

Where we do use actions is where we need to track the workflow of the
procedure though there is not always a direct correlation between the
procedure tracked and the observation.

As an example a blood pressure will often be taken as part of a vital signs
measurement. Ie the requested and tracked procedure is "perform vital signs
measurement' every 4 hrs".

I would use a single procedure action archetype to track the 'vital signs
process' in the same composition as the individual observations.

Ian