book recommendation - basic formal ontology (BFO) for biomedicine

王海生 edwin_uestc at 163.com
Mon Sep 7 04:46:24 EDT 2015

is there a kindle version

--

王海生
15901958021

At 2015-09-07 16:17:51, "Rikard Lövström" <rikard.lovstrom at gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you, Thomas, this looks very promising. I have placed an order so now I am waiting :-) Very considerate of you, many thanks. Kind regards, Rikard

A new book, Building Ontologies with Basic Formal Ontology (BFO2) has been published by Robert Arp, Barry Smith and Andrew Spear.

Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk

I've read a pre-print, and this is an excellent book. Many of us here have studied or used some of the key upper level ontologies (BFO, BioTopLite etc), and I think BFO2 will probably end up being the one of choice for general biomedicine. It contains all the concepts from Barry Smith's earlier work (SNAP and SPAN - spatial and temporal regions, partonomy concepts etc) and will ultimately (I have been told) contain/be merged with a new version of the Information Artefact Ontology (IAO) which will probably become the upper level ontology for describing types of information that stand in the IS-ABOUT and similar relationships with real world referents - in other words, EHR information items.

My personal feeling is that in the next 2-5 years, we will finally see the joining up of these key ontologies with information models and archetypes in the clinical information space. It will be up to us in the openEHR community and other related communities (13606, CIMI, HL7 etc) to engage with this material and consider how this integration will be achieved. A few very early ideas are mentioned in the Archetype Technology Overview document, but of course this is just one narrow area of application.

We need to all get on the same page in terms of understanding and conceptual nomenclature in this space, and BFO2 I believe is an excellent foundation for that. We will be using it increasingly in the openEHR specification space, and I think others will find it useful as well.

Rikard Lövström
Address: Sjölyckevägen 29, SE-511 63 Skene, Sweden
Phone: +46 320 14242
Mobile: +46 70 4951534
Fax: +46 31 7459402