openEHR-clinical Digest, Vol 41, Issue 8

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at oceaninformatics.com
Sat Sep 26 00:41:35 EDT 2015

hi William,

noone is claiming access to particular universal truths; ontologies are
about describing the structure of reality. Entities (e.g. anatomical
structures, events like BP=xxx etc) that are mentioned in EHR data can
be marked as being instances of categories in an ontology, such as BFO2:

this then enables new kinds of computing and inferencing with the data
not available without the ontology, and in particular, enables the
removal of certain kinds of querying errors common today.

- thomas