Re: SV: openEHR and IHTSDO (SNOMED CT)

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at oceaninformatics.com
Tue Sep 29 04:41:02 EDT 2015

I don't personally have any opinion about prioritisation (there are
obviously many factors relevant to each case), but openEHR archetypes
are being used in:

- Australia
- Slovenia
- Norway
- Brazil
- NHS England
- Scotland NHS

under official government projects, and in those countries plus Russia,
New Zealand, Netherlands, Sweden, Uruguay, UK, South Korea, Switzerland,
Poland and China in deployed solutions.

In addition, CIMI (an archetype initiative) is becoming an official part
of HL7 and will slowly find use in the US (at least), and 13606
archetypes are being used in Spain, Brazil, and I don't know how many
other countries.

These locations are potential places for SNOMED to be used more (other
than UK, arguably).

If the IHTSDO mentality is to find places where SNOMED is already being
used and concentrate on that, that's a misunderstanding of how things
work in the real world. Terminology gets used as an enabling tool, not a
headline project - it's only an interesting proposition when there are
information models and health data computing platforms & solutions in
place that can use it.

- thomas