Cloud EHRServer is about to be launched

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at openehr.org
Thu Dec 29 11:10:48 EST 2016

On 29/12/2016 10:50, Bert Verhees wrote:
> Op 29-12-2016 om 6:47 schreef Thomas Beale:
>>
>> Agree with Ian...
>>
>> I think the correct approach is that open source software can be
>> openly announced, after all, in some sense it is a gift to the
>> community. Open source offerings are permanently represented under
>> the Tools menu <http://www.openehr.org/downloads/ehrcomponents> on
>> the website. For commercial activities, including those that use open
>> source, there is the Industry partners programme, which leads to
>> vendors being represented here on the website
>> <http://www.openehr.org/industry_partners/>.
>>

> Hi Thomas, I am not sure about my position in this.
>
>> There are undoubtedly better ways to announce and present these kinds
>> of information, and as ever, suggestions to do so are welcome.
> But thanks for the invitation to reply.
>
> I think there must be more communication between the openehr-community
> and what happens on the market (non-commercial as also commercial)
>
> So I agree with you that there should be an announcement list for open
> source projects, new releases, features, etc.
> You wrote that on an other email today.
>
> I have a question about the industry-partner announcements.
> Does the current structure not have an announcement space for industry
> partners? I could not find such a space.

'News' section, middle of the front page. Any item with a 'factory' icon
is industry generated content. All industry partners can produce
announcements there. Not saying this is the best possible system, it's
just the current system.

> I can imagine that industry partners would like to have an opportunity
> to present their (new) products/versions to the communities, because
> that is where they are often aiming to sell.
> To avoid spamming by industry partners on such a list, the
> email-traffic could be restricted, only once a month, for example.
>
> And I would favor a reconsideration of the fee-price for industry
> partners, I think especially for startups or individual partners, the
> price is too high, especially for the first year..

well, one has to ask what is a minimum level of business to be doing as
a commercial vendor. €0.5m? €1m p.a.? The bronze level of membership is
€1000 p.a. This seems pretty minimal to me in the overall scheme of
things. Does the vendor obtain value from openEHR - specifications, open
source software etc? Is the openEHR IP worth 1-2 days' work, which is
what €1000 equates to? If it's worth less than that, probably it's not
providing them any real value.

The micro startup is €650 p.a. This is the cost of 1 day's work to a
company. If openEHR is not worth that to a startup, then I'd say they
have not yet started up ...

> I think, there will be more partners attracted to try a business,
> especially when they have an announcement-list to present their
> commercial ideas.

Agree with that. We are looking into some alternatives.

> To my idea, it would be good for the foundation to support as many
> interested parties as possible in finding their way in the openehr
> communities.

agree.