Better approach for announcements, forums?

Marcus Baw marcusbaw at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 06:54:08 EST 2016

Here's some links to existing forums using the Discourse forum platform,
which is what I propose we use for the openEHR community:

https://www.openhealthhub.org/
https://discourse.leighhack.org/

And here is the forum that the Discourse team uses for its own software:
https://meta.discourse.org/ It's notable as it has a good example of a
Marketplace area which can be used for software announcements of the kind
recently discussed.

In the main it works pretty similar to a mailing list (in that new postings
can be notified to users via email, just like people are used to) except
there is also a web interface for the forum which provides a nice way of
browsing content, especially older content.

It's fairly configurable, and there is quite a lot of flexibility to create
special interest areas/lists. The notifications are user-customisable so
it's easy to unsubscribe yourself from notifications if you're getting too
many.

I agree with Ian's suggestion to trial the forum and see how well it works
for this community.

Marcus