EHR Archetype for Recording a patient's death

Birger Haarbrandt birger.haarbrandt at plri.de
Wed Feb 3 05:18:10 EST 2016

Hi there,

In our operative note document we have a data element to record the
decease of a patient during a surgical operation. At our first try, we
modelled "time of death" as a single Element to make it fit into a
particulare section on the document. However, it feels wrong as I think
that the death of a patient is a concept on its own that will be reused
in many scenarios and that might need further data elements. In the CKM,
there is only the death data archetype (which is a CLUSTER in the
Demographic Model) which is not feasible for our use-case.

Is there a reason why such a prominent concept as "death" has not been
modeled as EHR archetype?

Regards,

--
*Birger Haarbrandt, M.Sc.*

Peter L. Reichertz Institut für Medizinische Informatik
Technische Universität Braunschweig und
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Mühlenpfordtstraße 23
D-38106 Braunschweig