Alive vs Dead

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at openehr.org
Tue Jan 5 08:26:36 EST 2016

I think the orthodox openEHR view would be (see Chunlan's and Eric's

  * demographic data would normally have a 'deceased status' and 'date
    of decease' which is the administrative knowledge of the patient's
    death, i.e. something recorded by provider admin staff
  * EHR data would include death as an event (as Shinji says) recorded
    by a doc, and if there is a persistent Composition containing basic
    patient clinical info (gender, DOB, etc) it would also go in there

The HL7 view could be understood as follows:

  * hL7v2 messages indicate changes of state in things; and I think will
    be mainly ADT oriented, i.e. correspond to the administrative change
    to the openEHR demographic data
  * FHIR's view is a query - meaning depends on what resource it is
    coming from; it could be administrative or clinical event (Grahame?)

- thomas