HL7 and negation

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at openehr.org
Sat Jun 11 06:09:23 EDT 2016

Let's state the problem as one of associating some sort of absence,
presence, or in-between indicator with some X in a patient, or some
other subject...

There is some discussion about this topic in SPECPR-118
<https://openehr.atlassian.net/browse/SPECPR-118>, in which Ian McNicoll
made the comment:

I think we need to do a bit more thinking about the pros and cons and
the somewhat different requirements of e.g negating a diagnosis vs.
negating a symptom.

This is exactly right - there are different kinds of Xs. There are
/observable Xs/, including things we use instruments to observe (which
we generally assume to be reliable in a practical sense). So
presence/absence claims can reasonably be made in cases where the X
being observed (e.g. pregnancy, MRSA, being a smoker) is the same thing
the claim is made about (is pregnant, neg MRSA, non-smoker). In this
case, the presence / absence can reasonably be said to be part of the
reported reality of the X in question.

However, if the claim is about a C (some 'condition') where C /cannot be
directly observed /(or is not, in the current situation) then we are
looking at an /epistemic claim about knowledge of C/, based on observed
X, what X means in the context of patient type P, and so on. There is a
range of /epistemic claims /that could be made about Cs, e.g. the following:

  * doesn't exist - 100% sure C not present in patient - e.g. diabetes
    type I, based on negative oral glucose test
  * may exist - C is effectively one branch of a differential diagnosis
    or other assessment
  * does exist - 100% sure C present in patient - e.g. diabetes type I,
    based on +ve oral glucose test
  * no risk of C in future - 100% sure C will not occur, e.g. BRCA1 or 2
    breast cancer, based on genetic test (we assume the latter is
    bullet-proof)
  * risk of C in future - some likelihood of C occurring
  * guarantee of C occurring in future - future reaction to exposure to
    bee venom in a patient known to be hyper-allergic to been venom

This basically boils down to:

  * it may be reasonable to allow presence or absence of true
    'observables' to be encoded in a binary way (what we think of as
    Observations in openEHR)
  * claims regarding any kind of assessment, opinion, diagnosis, etc of
    something we don't directly observe as such are epistemic claims,
    i.e. claims about type of knowledge we have of some C, and are not
    encodable as a Boolean 'existence' idea, but only as a level of
    certainty or similar. (what we think of as Evaluations in openEHR)

To make things somewhat annoying, there is probably a grey area between
the two. For example, 'pregnant' could arguably be regarded as a direct
observation or an assessment. But I think for 95% of cases things are
obvious.

So my conclusion is that the way to record presence / absence of true
observables could reasonably be done in a simple way, while any type of
assessment has to be recorded in a way that a) allows some range of
certainty, b) can include the temporal aspect (now, future etc) and c)
can reflect the current state of the investigative process.

Another annoyance that may prevent simple modelling is that EHRs often
include statements like 'is diabetic', e.g. reported by an obviously
diabetic patient about her diagnosis from 20y ago. Such statements are
not in themselves assessments, they are reports of the outcome of an
earlier process. As such, it may be reasonable to report such things in
a more or less binary way, e.g. is / is not diabetic.

I'm not a fan of negation or any other variety of presence, absence,
risk of etc being part of terminology, at least not pre-coordinated with
the ontological part (doing so is a total confusion about what the
terminology expresses). A typology of negation / epistemic claims could
potentially exist in some separate part of a terminology e.g. SNOMED, to
be used to code information model property like 'epistemic_status', or
similar.

Aside: apparently the FHIR approach to representing things like 'no
known allergies' is to infer it by seeing if an allergies list is empty
or not. That sounds like a bad idea to me. If 'no known allergies' is
understood as a clinically meaningful statement made by e.g. a GP (based
on reliable knowledge about the patient), checking for a list being
empty in some EMR system isn't at all the same thing. All that latter
does is establish that no allergies have been recorded on this
particular system.

- thomas