HL7 and negation

Grahame Grieve grahameg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 06:44:17 EDT 2016

> Aside: apparently the FHIR approach to representing things like 'no known allergies' is to infer it by seeing if an allergies list is empty or not. That sounds like a bad idea to me. If 'no known allergies' is understood as a clinically meaningful statement made by e.g. a GP (based on reliable knowledge about the patient), checking for a list being empty in some EMR system isn't at all the same thing. All that latter does is establish that no allergies have been recorded on this particular system.

Well, that would be a bad idea. But that's ok because that's not what we do ;-)

There is a specific flag on list for noting the clinically meaningful statement, but what we've found is that almost all systems treat the statement of no allergies in an allergy record as an explicit statement

Btw, I don't think that the statement of no allergy is a case of a negation statement

Grahame