HL7 and negation

Grahame Grieve grahameg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 08:53:30 EDT 2016

>> There is a specific flag on list for noting the clinically meaningful statement, but what we've found is that almost all systems treat the statement of no allergies in an allergy record as an explicit statement
>
> that sounds right.
>
>> Btw, I don't think that the statement of no allergy is a case of a negation statement
>
> Is there any online summary of how negations, exclusions etc are understood in FHIR?

No, there's no summary at all. Our general approach is that the theory of negations from terminfo generally holds, but a thorough survey of what existing systems are doing (or, failing that, a series of connectathons) generally establishes that there are practical restrictions created by poor clinical record keeping that point to a different course of action.

Also, we consider other approaches, including the openehr exclusion model approach, which is also a part of FHIR.

Grahame