More generic reference model

Bert Verhees bert.verhees at rosa.nl
Fri Sep 2 11:55:47 EDT 2016

On 02-09-16 16:45, Thomas Beale wrote:

> Actually SNOMED did exist when we designed the openEHR RM, and even if
> today's SNOMED CT had existed we would have done pretty much the same
> thing I think. The Observation model for example is a structural model
> of time series data, adapted to direct software use. Trying to use
> SNOMED to code all that would be painful, and contrary to what SNOMED
> is for.
Blood pressure is not such a good example. Better examples are concepts
with much hierarchy or other relationships/attributes connected.

I am not sure what you mean by using SNOMED for coding. Of course SNOMED
can be used for expression constraints, for example, to create an
expression which indicates a systolic higher then 165. The expressions
could be embedded in AQL if it would be ready for that.

Another expression would constrain: Does the patient have a specific
disease, or one of the twenty diseases which have an "is a" relation
with that disease, and then with a specific attribute and a specific
value, etc..
Also for datamining and population care this would be good.

An example is always dangerous, because, the wrong example does not mean
that the argument is wrong, but the example can become argument of
discussion. But I try anyway.

Find all patients which had a form of cancer with a specific attribute
or one of the child forms of that cancer and a specific therapy or one
of the twenty therapies which are a child-form of that therapy, this is
maybe not easy to do in OpenEHR right now.

It might be possible that the archetype-structure in which different
cancers are describes have a different structure for different cancers,
so it is not on a steady path where you can find characteristics about
that disease. Same counts for the therapies

And it would be nicer if the query could be embedded in AQL.

So, in my opinion, you need equally formed archetypes for different
diseases, especially if they are in the same clinical hierarchy, so you
can find clinical attributes of that disease-hierarchy and terminology
codes on the same node-Id's and in the same structure.

Maybe a hospital thinks about that when designing archetypes, and is
doing a good job, but the concept does not enforce this good job.
On the contrary to SNOMED which is well guarded by IHTSDO

OpenEHR could profit from that.

Maybe there are better ideas to integrate SNOMED better in OpenEHR?

best regards
Bert