Normal range/reference ranges for text data type

Bert Verhees bert.verhees at rosa.nl
Fri Sep 30 04:06:30 EDT 2016

On 29-09-16 14:31, GF wrote:
> Each entry in the classification needs:
> - a screen representation (‘+++')
> - a description (‘moderate')
> - an expression defining the inclusion criteria  ('Lower Limit' <
> ‘Value' < 'Higher limit'
> - an expression defining the exclusion criteria ('no diagnosis of xyz')
>
> And perhaps each entry needs:
> - Ranking number (‘1')
> - Presentation ranking number (‘4')
> - Associated value for calculation support (‘100')

I don't think screen presentations should be something to consider in
archetype-structures. A few weeks ago this was said to me on this list,
and I think that is right. Screen presentation-definitions should be
something to use in templates for screen presentation. There can also be
templates for other purposes, messages, reports, etc.

Archetypes, except for its original purpose:
data-structure-representation, need to be purpose independent.
Archetypes are the base to build templates on, and depending of the
purpose of the template, the data will be represented in a different way.

So archetypes need to be as much as possible machine-processable, and if
you use all kind of convenient terms to, for example, indicate pain,
then you will never be able to datamine (research in the history of a
patient, or in a population) in a more generic way, and you will also
need that specific archetype.

Imagine a hospital with 7000 archetypes, it will become nearly
impossible to find persons which have pain, what kind of pain and how
severe it is.

Better is to code pain, and I know SCT has good codes for pain (there
may be other code-systems too). This makes machine processable searching
for pain, kind of pain, severity of pain possible and will improve
healthcare for a specific patient or a population.