Normal range/reference ranges for text data type

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at openehr.org
Fri Sep 30 04:31:46 EDT 2016

On 29/09/2016 13:31, GF wrote:
> Each entry in the classification needs:
> - a screen representation (‘+++')
> - a description (‘moderate')

in theory these two come from DV_ORDINAL.symbol, which is a
DV_CODED_TEXT. That assumes a text value of '+++' and either a
description or synonym (or both) of 'moderate'.

> - an expression defining the inclusion criteria  ('Lower Limit' <
> ‘Value' < 'Higher limit'
> - an expression defining the exclusion criteria ('no diagnosis of xyz')

these are semantic things and I think have to be outside of the
DV_ORDINAL data type definition, which after all just represents a
value. Once you add these, it becomes a disease- or test-specific
definition. I'm not sure where we would put these things - I think
probably in a knowledge base of semantic definitions of different test
results. One might argue that SNOMED should provide that, but I'm
inclined to think it belongs in a knowledge base of lab-related ranges,
labels and other computational elements, like the 'presentation ranking
number' and 'value for calculation support' you have below.

> And perhaps each entry needs:
> - Ranking number (‘1')

DV_ORDINAL.value.

> - Presentation ranking number (‘4')
> - Associated value for calculation support (‘100')
>
> To my ideas the Semantic Ordinal, as described, actually is an
> Archetype Pattern or a Data Type.

did you mean 'of a Data Type'?

I think the above ideas are all likely to be useful, but they won't all
fit inside DV_ORDINAL...