Better approach for announcements, forums?

Marcus Baw marcusbaw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 08:31:34 EST 2017

Discourse will allow a number of things to happen that you can't have at
present:

* online forum with email notifications and reply-via-email function built
in
* any combination of public, login-only, and private forums that is needed
by the openEHR community
* 'announcement' lists can be made 'read-only' by locking the post straight
after posting
* nested subforums
* wikified sections of text which can be updated by any logged-in user
* embedded, inline documents, googledocs, images and videos
* private messages (useful for when wanting to contact someone whom you
know of but don't have an email address for)
* 'accepted answer' to a question can be marked and thereafter a direct
link to the accepted answer is displayed right in the post asking the
question (a little bit like Stack Overflow, not quite as rich, but good
enough).

and lots of other stuff

I'm happy to set an instance up for the community as long as we have a few
people who'll help maintain, moderate and manage it.

For those that don't like online fora, the email-based experience of
Discourse is similar enough to a mailing list not to be an issue (for most)

The absolute key and killer feature of fora vs mailing lists is that with
mailing lists you only really have a history of the topics in your email,
going as far back as when you joined the mailing list. With fora, you have
the entire history of everything, saving duplicate posts and repeated
asking of the same solved questions.