Mandatory elements in archetypes, and user interfaces

Bakke, Silje Ljosland silje.ljosland.bakke at nasjonalikt.no
Tue Nov 28 08:24:45 EST 2017

Thanks for your good answers, Pieter, Boštjan, Thomas, Pablo and Bjørn!

What I’m taking from this is that it’s not a problem using an archetype with an “archetype-mandatory” element in a UI where that element isn’t “UI-mandatory” (by which I mean that the element must be displayed and filled, either by prefilling or by the user) – the applications should handle no data entered into the element in one of several possible ways:

·         By the user explicitly removing the archetype by clicking some kind of “remove” button.

·         By the application automatically choosing not to persist the archetype at all if no data is entered. This is of course dependent on there being no data entered into any other elements of the archetype, and that the archetype itself isn’t set as mandatory in the template.

·         By using null flavours as detailed in the openEHR specs.

Regards,
Silje