Aw: Re: Modeling generic concepts, considerations for querying

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at openehr.org
Mon Oct 2 06:54:00 EDT 2017

On 01/10/2017 09:06, Birger Haarbrandt wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> in Germany, we really would like to start our "green field" project
> using ADL 2 for reasons like this. We would highly appreciate if the
> official governance tools of the openEHR Foundation would start to
> support ADL 2 very soon so that we don't have to migrate eventually.

well the AOM2 and ADL2 specifications are already official. And the ADL
Workbench implements the whole standard, so it's possible to compile
(and somewhat edit, in a graphical mode) ADL2 archetypes and templates.

Secondly, the forthcoming new release of the ADL-designer from Marand is
based internally on AOM2 but with some missing elements, because the
current aim is to support .oet templates. So a bit of incremental effort
is needed to add the final ADL/AOM2 facilities like ADL2 templates, ADL2
save, OPT2 and so on. There are new libraries available in openEHR to do
this with, and we have an Antlr4 expression of ADL2/ODIN to help.

It is the persistent repository that is the real question. It depends on
which one your project will use. If it is an open source implementation,
it may be that you need to work with the developers to add in support
for ADL2. This isn't as hard as it sounds, because what needs to be
supported is primarily OPT2 templates - i.e. an EHR system doesn't
import raw source form ADL2 archetypes, but fully compiled templates.

The other area of modification is the query processor, but this should
be incremental changes over any currently available AQL processor.

Your project may well be the first one to seriously move to ADL/AOM2 in
the EHR system space. I think if you go that way, you will get a lot of
help from the community, but you will also need to figure in a certain
amount of developer time from your team as well.