Modeling generic concepts, considerations for querying

Pablo Pazos pablo.pazos at cabolabs.com
Mon Sep 25 21:52:26 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm working with the clinical synopsis archetype, using it to model very
open psychotherapy notes. The difference of that archetype from, for
instance, blood pressure, triage, problem/diagnosis, is these archetypes
are more or less very specific concepts, while synopsis might be used in
many contexts, by different specialties, to save different kinds of data.
The synopsis itself is a very generic concept.

Considering querying for a synopsis, I think queries should consider the
context, not only the archetype id. For instance if I want the
psychotherapy notes instead of other kinds of clinical synopsis, some extra
data should be given in the query.

I can see two ways of doing this, with more 1. specific archetypes or 2.
using templates to filter the query results. 1. means the synopsis
archetype might  be specialized to synopsis-psychotherapy, so queries can
use that new archetype id. 2. at the template level using the synopsis
archetype, and the template is for psychotherapy. This implies the template
id should be used on the query as context/filter.

What alternative do clinical modelers see as more correct?

I like specializing archetypes because we can keep queries simple, but we
might end up with a lot of archetypes. Using templates makes queries more
complex, but we don't need more archetypes for specializations.

Thanks!

PS: please let me know if this doesn't make sense :)

--
Ing. Pablo Pazos Gutiérrez
e: pablo.pazos at cabolabs.com
p: +598 99 043 145