Modeling generic concepts, considerations for querying

Seref Arikan serefarikan at kurumsalteknoloji.com
Tue Sep 26 05:24:48 EDT 2017

Hi Pablo,

I am not a clinician but as an implementer I see the benefits of less
specific archetypes quite often. The fundamental role of archetypes is
reuse. It is so by design and templates solve the problem of composition
(in the object oriented sense, not the RM type).

I think the rule I try to follow when I think about the models is: when
you're decreasing the reuseability of an archetype, you're taking a
decision in a direction that is against the design of openEHR. Sounds a bit
harsh, I know :) this is not a rule we can always follow but in your case I
think using the template approach to define context and reuse the archetype
in different contexts is a better option.

I think you'll see the benefits of focusing on archetype reuse as an
implementer, even if you don't consider other parties reusing your
archetypes: a case which Heather, Ian, Silje et.al. are sensitive about
since they keep an eye on the global state of affairs. If you go with
templates, everybody wins :)

All the best
Seref