Archetypes for Ayurveda and yoga

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at openehr.org
Tue Feb 27 15:57:43 EST 2018

Dileep,

for the philosophical question, CKM and openEHR are objectively agnostic
about allopathy and other kinds of medical approaches; what it is not
agnostic about is a general scientific method approach, sometimes known
as a hypothetico-deductive approach. Big words, but all they mean is
that openEHR does predispose the content models to at least some sort of
observation / diagnostic / intervention cycle. From my limited knowledge
of Ayurveda, I don't think there are incompatabilities - the theoretical
methods are just different, i.e. what kind of observations, how
diagnosis is made and so on are different.

The one thing that is needed for things like Ayurvedic archetypes to
co-exist with mainstream western medicine ones is that naming is done
carefully so that no basic terms are confused. For example, there is an
archetype known as 'problem/diagnosis'. The unwritten assumption is that
this is to do with western medicine. Whether it is re-usable for
Ayrvedic healing I don't know, but let's assume it isn't. So you will
want to create a problem/diagnosis archetype(s) for Ayurveda, and to
avoid name clashes, it will need an id like ayurvedic_problem_diagnosis
or similar. The same goes for any other potentially clashing content areas.

It might seem unfair that western medicine is the default concept space,
just as English language is the default in archetype ids (not elsewhere
though), but in the end they are all just ids. As long as we know what
they mean, everyone will be happy.

The same arguments apply to naturopathy and so on.

- thomas

On 27/02/2018 19:03, Erik Sundvall wrote:
> Hi!
>
> What do CKM maintainers think of having a separate CKM project or
> incubator or similar for this?
>
> I’d be surprised if you need to adapt the RM in other ways than the
> usual constraints of archetyping etc.
>
> I personally think it is good if openEHR can be used for systematizing
> data collection and making it easier to explore/improve evidence for
> different approaches to healthcare.
>
> Best regards,
> Erik Sundvall
>
> tis 20 feb. 2018 kl. 11:48 skrev Dileep V S <dileep at healthelife.in
> <mailto:dileep at healthelife.in>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     We are working on a OpenEHR based EHR solution for Ayurveda and
>     Yoga practices. As the fundamental tenets of Ayurveda are
>     different from the allopathy, we are in the process of creating a
>     different set of archetypes as per their practice requirements. We
>     would like to make them available to anybody else who may find
>     them useful.
>
>     What is the best way to do this? Is it appropriate to add them to
>     the OpenEHR CKM? or is that only for Allopathy specific
>     archetypes? What should be the general framewok as like us others
>     may be trying to adapt OpenEHR RM to other such practices around
>     the world?
>
>     In case you have not heard of Ayurveda, please try these links
>
>     https://chopra.com/articles/what-is-ayurveda
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayurveda
>
>     regards
>     Dileep V S
>     /Founder/
>     HealtheLife Ventures LLP
>     m: 	+91 9632888113
>     a: 	103, Innovation Centre, IIIT, Electronics City, Bangalore 560100
>     w: 	healthelife.in <http://healthelife.in/> e:
>     dileep at healthelife.in <mailto:dileep at healthelife.in>

> Sent from mobile.

Thomas Beale
Principal, Ars Semantica <http://www.arssemantica.com>
Consultant, ABD Team, Intermountain Healthcare
<https://intermountainhealthcare.org/>
Management Board, Specifications Program Lead, openEHR Foundation
<http://www.openehr.org>
Chartered IT Professional Fellow, BCS, British Computer Society
<http://www.bcs.org/category/6044>
Health IT blog <http://wolandscat.net/> | Culture blog
<http://wolandsothercat.net/>