Non existing constraints: closed or open interpretation?

Ian McNicoll ian at freshehr.com
Fri Jul 6 03:27:11 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Good question Pablo.

There is definitely a use-case for an open composition content slot, though
it would probably have a little more context data.

The prime example is a GP Encounter when the potential content is very open
i.e you have no idea what Observations, in particular, might be required.

However, this of course leaves CDR servers with a validation problem and I
suspect most CDRs actually validate directly against the templated content
i.e extra content will be rejected.

In these situations we tend, therefore to build maximal dataset templates
which is a little clunky but technically correct. I understand that a
couple of vendors have/are experimenting with dynamic
validation i.e. the template is in some way rebuilt to reflect the content
but I don't know the details.

So in practice, although technically open slots are valid, I think most
CDRs treat them as closed. Dynamic validation would be really useful and I
think ADL2 allows us to constrain slots as closed.

mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859
office +44 (0)1536 414994
skype: ianmcnicoll
email: ian at freshehr.com