Non existing constraints: closed or open interpretation?

Pablo Pazos pablo.pazos at cabolabs.com
Fri Jul 6 12:50:06 EDT 2018

Thanks Ian and David,

The conclusion for these would be:

1. The clinical modeler intent when constraints are not added, is that
anything is permitted where constraints are not defined, of course in
validity with the RM.

2. To define a closed structure, clinical modelers need to explicitly
define the whole structure in templates, maybe mark some nodes as
mandatory, and constraint the cardinality of collections to allow only the
defined nodes there (but this is more difficult, for instance on
INSTRUCTION.activities if cardinality is 1..2, and just one ACTIVITY is
defined and marked as min occurrences = 1, another ACTIVITY with a
different structure can be added at runtime on INSTRUCTION.activities, on
these cases of collections is really difficult to express "only these types
of nodes are allowed and no others"). All this would be done at the
template level.

3. Each implementation would need to state what's the interpretation of
accepting an OPT, even if the template is a more generic than the defined
constraints (allows extra nodes to be added but are not defined in the
template). So implementations, on their conformance statement need to say
"we interpret OPTs as closed and accept only the structure defined by the
OPT" or "we interpret OPTs as open and accept the OPT nodes and any other
valid nodes that can be added at runtime".

Interesting point on dynamic validation, but I think that is a RM
validation only, since there are no AOM/TOM constraints to validate
against, IMO data might be a little insecure with this approach.

On my case, I'll need to add to my conf. statement that the interpretation
is "closed".

Thanks everyone, this helped me a lot, and hope this discussion help other
people in the future.

Best,
Pablo.

--