How to define transitions in the ISM

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at openehr.org
Fri Jul 27 16:23:54 EDT 2018

The new Marand ADL-designer tool that replaces both AE and TD is in late
beta test, and should fix most things being talked about here, but won't
fix the splitting of transitions and separate data structures, because
that's an ADL-theoretic issue. But ADL-designer is AOM2 inside, so it
should be able to fix the problem; there may be a way to fake the result
back into ADL1.4, but I don't know about this yet.

This is the tool pathway that will solve this problem for most people, I
believe. LinkEHR might be able to do it as well, depending on what its
current internal model is. It will also need the same modification to
AOM we need to add to solve this particular problem.

I won't jump the gun on publishing the new tool link - it's better if
they do that, but if there are people interested in beta-testing, it
might not hurt to register your interest here.

- thomas

On 26/07/2018 14:18, Peter Gummer wrote:
> Hi Ivar and Pablo,
>
> Reading this, I had the vague recollection that old versions of
> Archetype Editor used to have a stab at supporting the transition, but
> that I had removed it because it didn’t actually work. A quick search
> of github … and here’s the relevant commit, more than five years ago:
>
>     https://github.com/openEHR/arch_ed-dotnet/commit/7cd2968557074daec0e4ca97b6518483f516ba01
>

> And here’s the comment that I wrote explaining the change:
>
>     In ACTION archetypes, remove the Transitions option from the
>     Pathway Specification. It has never worked and no one has ever
>     found that the transition constraints should be limited more than
>     the standard openEHR state diagram. The partial implementation
>     that was in place also seemed back-to-front with respect to the
>     reference model: the RM specifies the transition that which
>     occurred to arrive in the current state, whereas the user
>     interface was constraining which states could be reached from the
>     current state. For simplicity and to avoid confusion, it's best to
>     remove the existing non-functional implementation.
>

> So … “no one has ever found that the transition constraints should be
> limited more than the standard openEHR state diagram." Based on what
> you’ve written below, Ivar, it sounds like you now have a convincing
> case for implementing it!
>
> Sadly, it would seem that nobody has been supporting the Archetype
> Editor github repository since my final commit almost three years ago:
>
>     https://github.com/openEHR/arch_ed-dotnet/commits/master
>

> Nonetheless, anyone can clone the repository and implement the
> transition in Archetype Editor, if they have the time, skill and will
> to do so. But unfortunately I don’t think this will solve your
> problem. Whenever we used to implement a new feature in Archetype
> Editor, we had to take into consideration its impact on the downstream
> tools. You’ve mentioned that Template Designer ignores the transition;
> so even if you did get the transition into your archetype, wouldn’t it
> be lost in your templates? Beyond the template and the OPT, further
> downstream support would be needed. Has support for the transition
> been implemented in CKM and whatever runtime openEHR libraries your
> software is built upon?
>
> I don’t see an easy solution for you, because your whole stack would
> need to support it. Hand-coding the ADL, OPT, etc. is an ugly
> solution, but it’s a solution that won't work at all unless your
> downstream tools and software can accept the transition.
>
> Regards,
> Peter
>

>> On 23 Jul 2018, at 21:58, Ivar Yrke <iyr at dips.no
>> <mailto:iyr at dips.no>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Somewhat late reply due to vacation…
>>
>> We have come across that same problem and for us it actually was a
>> show stopper for which we had to invent a work around.
>>
>> *First a remark about the tools:*

> [...]

Thomas Beale
Principal, Ars Semantica <http://www.arssemantica.com>
Consultant, ABD Project, Intermountain Healthcare
<https://intermountainhealthcare.org/>
Management Board, Specifications Program Lead, openEHR Foundation
<http://www.openehr.org>
Chartered IT Professional Fellow, BCS, British Computer Society
<http://www.bcs.org/category/6044>
Health IT blog <http://wolandscat.net/> | Culture blog
<http://wolandsothercat.net/> | The Objective Stance
<https://theobjectivestance.net/>