What to call this concept?

Philippe Ameline philippe.ameline at free.fr
Fri Jun 22 03:57:59 EDT 2018

Great answer,

I also liked Bert's "Only the first man was reflecting the truth
because, laying bricks, you do alone, the rest you do together with others"

To sum it up (my own way):

When asking someone what he does (in life or even for a living), the
answer - from people doing the very same thing - can range from very
mundane to fully inspirational.
In health, all answers are plainly valid, and it would be a terrible
mistake to only take into account the technical description. We are all,
on this list, working to save lives, to have suffering people heal, to
open the way for a better world... and we are also all spending most of
our time typing on a computer keyboard (be it code or projects sheet,
etc). It is true that typing allows us to benefit from several years of
life when compared to those who are pneumatic drilling outside... but it
doesn't define who we are.

Bert reminds us that the most important part is always done with
others... meaning that "what do you do?" could be better expressed as
"what is your social network?".
It may remain a little bit theoretical or philosophical, but the
"individuation" concept states that, to become a better self, one should
find her best place as a service provider to her network (hence opposed
to "individualism"... and also opposed to finding a comfortable slot in
a hierarchy).

This to say that a human being is a complex biological entity part of a
complex social network and that taking care of her can never be achieved
in a reductionist way. So, "what do you do?", "what is your social
network?" and "who are you?" are three very connected questions.

I stop there... my virtual foreman reminds me that I don't make a living
from posting on this list ;-)

Best,

Philippe