Machine Learning , some thoughts

Bert Verhees bert.verhees at rosa.nl
Mon Jun 25 07:30:30 EDT 2018

On 25-06-18 12:44, Anastasiou A. wrote:
> The time scales for doing this would be enormous. We can probably work out a lower limit by looking at the lifecycle of archetypes
> in the current CKM.

Thanks, for your answer, I agree with you and others, and already wrote
that, that an EHR will not be good enough for machine learning.

I was too optimistic and to much impressed by some results of machine
learning. It will do very good things in healthcare, but only on very
specific cases.

But while writing this

What would be good, however, an improvement. I suggested to my wife (a
GP), and she agreed (partly)

Classic EHR software only has few datapoints on a screen, and many
particularities come into free text, and if the GP is really motivated,
maybe he finds some ICPC code.

Archetypes do not really change this practice. A GP is a busy person.

What could help is modularity. A GP should be able to add datapoints to
his screen. For example, beside all the normal things, the GP sees that
there are red eyes, but how can he make this available to the system in
a way that it can be found back?

What about micro-archetypes which describe only one datapoint? And the
GP should be able to invoke them by voice. He says "red eyes" and magic
happens, there is a datapoint on the screen which offers a possibility
to click on a checkbox. Eventually a choice, A bit red, medium red, very
red.

This kind of software does not have to be something for the far future,
but can be available already now.

Also thanks to machine learning, a limited form of NLP (natural language
expression (machine learning helping with NLP) can be used, and that was
my idea of generating archetypes, last Saturday. A computer could, in
some cases of simple datapoints, also even generate micro-archetypes for
them, and with templates or container-archetypes, generate
evaluation-archetypes

Maybe, when it is so easy to create datapoints, and store them, maybe
then machine learning in diagnostic can come closer, also in some cases
for a GP, or machine learning can do suggestion: look to the tongue of
the patient, but the fact remains, a good GP needs experience for
diagnotics.