Machine Learning , some thoughts

Anastasiou A. a.anastasiou at swansea.ac.uk
Mon Jun 25 08:56:45 EDT 2018

Hello Bert and all

I am a little bit "worried" with "micro-archetypes" the way you describe them.

I think that what you are probably referring to is "Disease Specific Templates", which I really hope is what we are all working towards :)

So, archetypes do indeed describe one conceptual quantity, or aspect of a person's healthcare and then a template describes a multidimensional "Point"
which characterises the patient journey within the disease.

Consider for example "Total Brain Volume". You can use it to track cognitive decline in AD (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(04)15441-X/abstract)
and this gives you one "explanatory variable". But, still, there are patients whose brain volume is abnormal (for their age) and they still perform well in other tests, so you need more
"data points" (a richer template) around the phenomenon to understand it better.

I think that what you are describing is something like "An automated approach to constructing disease specific 'Minimal Clinical Datasets'".

Once you have this minimal dataset discovered, THEN you could compose the template or automatically create the archetypes.

And yes, this CAN be done today, definitely.

All the best
Athanasios Anastasiou