Machine Learning , some thoughts

Bert Verhees bert.verhees at rosa.nl
Tue Jun 26 18:18:47 EDT 2018

Thanks for supporting reactions.

It is really typical in western medical science that it is very problem
oriented. All EHRs, even unconventional one, even the new thinking, it is
very problem oriented.

All data are gathered around a problem and in relevance of a problem. All
datastructures are pointing to a problem. Without problem there is no
datarecording.

It is historically grown like that. Medical data collecting is only done by
clinicians, and only when a patient has a problem, the data around the
problem, the diagnosis, and the treatment, that is important. Data which do
not have a known relevance are not recorded.

And when the patient has a new problem, the only information available are
the problems in history. Information about lifestyle is unknown. One can
ask the patient, but some patients have a selective memory.

But in sports this is different. Medical datarecording also happens when
there is no problem, but as daily routine. But now, many people today, also
no-sport people, I wrote before today, measure data many times. Apple
patented a blood pressure device in Applewatch. It is cheap, easy to do.

It will not take long and people have their own EHR at Google, Amazon,
Microsoft, Walmart or Apple, to record their daily medical data. They maybe
will be able to demand that GP's store their findings in that EHR, so a
more holistic view about the patient will become available, and maybe
insurance companies will reward access to that holistic view.

We must prepare for that, the face of healthcare will change. Until now it
was problem-care, which we called in Orwellian tradition Newspeak:
healthcare. But it will change to really healthcare. It is something
completely different, and it happens fast.

I learn also from this, while writing I learn. But I have said it all. Now
it would be nice to discuss how to implement healthcare instead of
problemcare.

Bert