Machine Learning , some thoughts

Stefan Sauermann sauermann at technikum-wien.at
Thu Jun 28 10:03:42 EDT 2018

One other example of "a big bunch of" things is https://www.snomed.org/.
This does not come for free. Snomed works along a well defined set of
processes, performed by experts with well defined profiles. Much of this
is paid work.

There are things volunteers can do. There are other things that need
resources.
I often saw very successful volunteer initiatives, doing innovation in
medical care. They designed IT systems, using archetypes or other
technology, and did a lot of good.

Many then wanted to scale these best practices to larger communities.
That is when the law, quality, standards and harmonised archetypes come in.

Wiser men have been there before:
Shortliffe EH: The adolescence of AI in medicine: will the field come of
age in the '90s? Artif Intell Med. 1993 Apr;5(2):93-106.
 From that I often throw the following sentences around:
"If the situation is to change, there must be high-level institutional
support for medical computing applications in clinical settings. I am
not arguing for blind adoption of computational innovations, but I do
believe that *we must accept the impossibility of viewing the
introduction of decision-support tools as a grass-roots activity that
emerges from the research lab*, appears as an isolated entity is a
clinic or on a hospital ward, *and then grows by some kind of mass
effect to encompass an entire medical community*. It is naiveté about
this point which has characterized our efforts to introduce AIM systems
in the past.

Instead, the greatest hope for *effective systems will be realized when
the infrastructure for introducing computational tools in medicine has
been put in place by visionary leaders who understand the importance of
networking, integration, shared access to patient data bases, and the
use of standards for data exchange, communications, and knowledge sharing.*"

The archetype community  (and many other standards groups) have them
all, volunteers, early adopters, and large scale implementers. Sometimes
we lose sight of each other, but they are all there.

Looking forward,
greetings from Vienna,

Stefan