Machine Learning , some thoughts

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at openehr.org
Thu Jun 28 10:12:44 EDT 2018

On 27/06/2018 16:57, Bert Verhees wrote:

> I have sport-app which tells me the power I produce, and it tells me
> that in Watt/kg
> That is more important then BMI, because athletes can have a BMI above
> thirty (muscles are heavier then fat) and be very healthy, so
> important is to know what they can do with all that weight.
>
> I didn't see that one in CKM. When do you expect that to be there?
> Will it make the next Olympics (in 2020 in Tokyo)
> And in the meantime, we tell those athletes to be patient?

or... someone who is working on an application or system to be used for
sports can just create drafts of the archetypes and upload them to CKM
now. The review might take a bit of time, but not that long, if the
archetypes are not complicated.

> For boxers, weight is also very important, if the grow into an higher
> class, they are the lightest person in that class and become from
> winner a loser.
> So they watch very carefully what they eat. They could use a
> machine-learning program which tells them how many sandwiches to eat.
> Because every person reacts different on food, the one gets fat from
> the same amount of food where another stays the same.
>
> They need tables which tell, the bread with cheese has so much
> calories, and bread with fish so much. How would these tables come
> alive. In archetypes?

no because this is reference knowledge, in the same sense as references
ranges of path results, or formal drug descriptions. Archetypes are
models of data about instances (individuals). You would probably want to
create archetypes for recording meals / ingredients however, then an
application can compute for you your calorific intake.

> Exactly, and it can be a micro-archetype, which makes it modular. Not
> a cluster, because it is only one data-item. It will be an ELEMENT. A
> CLUSTER with only one datapoint looks a bit stupid.
> Better is in CKM that they replace all CLUSTER slots with ITEM slots
> so that it can be a CLUSTER or ELEMENT, what is appropriate.

it is immaterial, as far as I can see whether it is a CLUSTER (= a data
group) or an ELEMENT (= a data point). If some device outputs treadmill
speed, treadmill incline, heart rate, vO2, work rate etc as a group,
then you will have an archetype for this. With a bit of study and review
of typical devices, it will be fairly clear what kinds of things go
together in what ways. For example, input variables such as treadmill
speed and incline could be anything, depending on the machine in use,
but the physiological variables are all going to be pretty standard ones.

If you have customers wanting this stuff, I suggest making some initial
proposals for CKM.