SV: ECG archetype advice required

Ivar Yrke iyr at dips.no
Wed Sep 5 03:38:27 EDT 2018

1/min, definitely!

Cardiac output is measured as liters/minute. Liters of what? We could have used the unit liters{blood}/minute, but I have never seen that done. It is considered obvious from the context. Likewise with other units. Velocity is measure as meters/second, not meters{travelled}/second. One could argue that meters{travelled} makes it clear that it is not meters{altitude}, but that is generally considered obvious from the context.

For some reason there is this temptation to add a fictive unit ({beats}, {count} etc.) when the number itself is unit less. This is not necessary. The context is always sufficient, just like in the cases that have a unit. Let us cut through the unclarity of UCUM and keep it simple and basic.

My argument is probably influenced by my background as a physicist. But if no one has objected to 1/min in pulse/heartbeat, then I see no reason to deviate from the basics in ECG or to modify pulse/heartbeat.

Vennlig hilsen
Ivar Yrke
Senior systemutvikler
DIPS AS